All about Hotel Management courses in India
There are several hotel management courses available in the country and hotel management is naturally a flourishing career option chosen by innumerable students and aspirants these days. Individuals, corporate folks, leisure travellers have been searching for hotels near me and booking hotels of all budgets across India. Here are some of the things worth knowing about hotel management courses in India.
- Average fees for hotel management courses can range between INR 2-8 lakh in case of full-time degree courses while distance learning courses can cost anything between INR 30,000 and INR 2 lakh on an average.
- 50% marks are needed in graduation for those pursuing postgraduate hotel management courses.
- Hotel management colleges and institutions have their entrance examinations and GDs (Group Discussions) and personal interviews may also have to be cleared by students.
- Full-time courses in hotel management (Post Graduate) come for anything between INR 1-7 lakh on an average while for distance learning courses, the fees can range between INR 30-75,000 approximately.
Hotels across cities in India has been on a rise ever. Hotels in Delhi, Hotels in Mumbai, hotels across cities in India are mostly remaining full house across the year due to various reasons including festivities, travelling, events etc. When it comes to the leading hotel management colleges in the country, you can definitely consider the following institutions:
- IHM, Dehradun
- Doon PG College of Agriculture Science Technology, Dehradun
- Quantum University
- UEI Global
- Kukreja Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology
- Christ College Bangalore
- Institute of Hotel Management Chennai
- Institute of Hotel Management Hyderabad
- Ram Institute of Hotel Management
- Institute of Hotel Management Gwalior
- Amrapali Institute of Hotel Management
- Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Hotel Management, Catering and Nutrition
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering and Nutrition
- Hotel and Catering Management Institute, Chandigarh
- Rizvi College of Hotel Management and Catering Technology
- SIHM Kozhikode
There are innumerable leading colleges and institutions offering courses in hotel management. These are only a few examples for your perusal.
Here’s looking at the admission procedure after completion of the 12th standard-
- The candidate should be 17 years of age at least.
- The 10+2 or equivalent examination should be passed with at least 50% marks (any stream) for getting undergraduate course admissions.
- There are entrance tests at almost every hotel management institute in the country and tests like AIMA, JEE, IIHM E-CHAT, UGAT and NCHMCT have to be passed for Bachelors courses including B. Sc. In Hotel Management and Bachelors in Hotel Management (BHM).
- Other entrance tests include UPSEE BHMCT, IPU CET BHMCT, Oberoi Step and IHA.
Here’s looking at some of the major entrance examinations-
- JEE helps get admission to the B. Sc. Hospitality & Hotel Administration programme at 15 state and 21 central IHMs and also other hotel management institutions. This is conducted by the NCHMCT annually.
- IIHM E-Chat- This nationwide examination has to be cleared for admission to several courses. There are personal interviews and group discussions held post the written examination. Students should clear their 10+2 with at least 60% with the application procedure commencing from December and the examination happening by May. There are 7 sister campuses of IIHM and these are located in Kolkata, Delhi, Pune, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Jaipur and Hyderabad.
- AIMA UGAT BHM- This is the BHM entrance examination conducted by the All-India Management Association. Aspirants should have passed 10+2 with at least 50%.
- GNIHM JET- The Guru Nanak Dev Institute of Hotel Management has a nationwide joint entrance examination for admission to hotel management courses. Students must have cleared 10+2 with at least 60% marks.
- Oberoi STEP- This is the in-house examination of the Oberoi Group for its Hotel Operations and Kitchen Operations courses. Applicants should have cleared 10+2 with a minimum of 60% marks.
- UPSEE BHMCT- This is conducted by the Uttar Pradesh Technical University and is called the Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination-Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Technology. There are admissions held for 13 colleges based on the results of this examination.
- MAH HM CET- The Directorate of Technical Education in Maharashtra conducts this examination for aspirants desirous of pursuing courses in hotel management.
- AIHMCT WAT- This is the Army Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology Written Admission Test and offers admission to bachelors courses in hotel management.
As can be seen, there are several aspects to keep in mind for pursuing hotel management courses in India.