Samsung releases many devices in a year, but they don’t give a proper update on their device. The company does not provide an official user-friendly firmware download portal for its Galaxy-branded smartphones and tablets. If you have luck, then you can get an update in the built-in update checker in Settings, or you can check the Samsung Smart Switch app. But if you can’t find the latest update in both methods, then you have to wait to get this update.
Many Samsung users download the latest firmware from 3rd party tool to flash in Odin Tool. 3rd party tools like SamFirm, Frija, and now the newly added Heimdall Flash tool have mostly used tools in the community. But the thing is none of the firmware download tools are open source. Also, the tools are based on Themida technologies, which is one of the reasons why the utility is difficult to port on other operating systems other than Windows. However, XDA junior member nn000 managed to overcome these barriers to work on all platforms.
The developer builds Samloader tool in the Python platform. So you can now use it on any operating system. Also, Samloader is a cross-platform CLI tool that can get the latest firmware updates without using any proprietary DLL. The tool is tiny in size (less than 100KB), and it can also decrypt the OTA artifacts and create a standard flashable package. If you are interested in using Samloader to download Samsung Galaxy updates, follow the guide below.
- Some carriers (such as Verizon and AT&T) do not provide updates through official Samsung servers, so they cannot be downloaded using Samloader or any other firmware downloader.
- Also, the firmware files used for Beta updates and Galaxy smartwatches (citation) are not released on the Samsung OTA server, so this cannot be downloaded.
Use Samloader to download updates for Samsung Galaxy device
Here is a simple guide on how you can use Samloader to download firmware for Samsung Galaxy device. We have divided the following instructions into several parts.
Step1: Install Python 3 and PIP
- First, download latest build Python, then open the setup file.
- Now proceed ahead with the on-screen instructions to install Python.
- Fortunately, newer Python builds already have PIP. To verify it, open CMD as administrator and paste below command –
- After entering this command you can see a long list of commands. This means that PIP has been successfully installed. You can now proceed to the next step.
Step2: Download Samloader
- Now download the codebase of Samloader. For that you can use direct download link or clone the repository using git:
git clone https://github.com/nlscc/samloader
- Now Extract the downloaded file and open the folder.
- After that open Command Prompt on the folder using shift + mouse right-click > open CMD window. Either you can directly copy the full path of the folder and use the below command to change the directories to the folder.
cd [full path of the folder]
- Then Install samloader using pip. Here is the required command:
Step3: Checking the latest Firmware for your device
Now time to download Samsung OTA Updates using the Samloader tool. First, check the latest firmware file for your Samsung device. the syntax for checking the latest firmware version for your model will be:
samloader checkupdate [model] [region]
- For example, if you need to find the latest firmware for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, type the following:
samloader checkupdate SM-G988U TMB
You can modify the command corresponding to the device.
Step4: Downloading specified firmware version file
Now, you can use the following command to download the specified firmware version of Galaxy device and region to the specified file or directory:
samloader download [version] [model] [region] [out]
Step5: Decrypting the Firmware
If you want to decrypt the encrypted firmware artifacts, there are two different commands for that. It depends on the type of encrypted firmware you are using, whether it is enc2 or enc4. The commands for both are as follows:
To decrypt an enc2 firmware file, use the following command:
samloader decrypt2 [version] [model] [region] [infile] [outfile]
To decrypt an enc4 firmware file, use the following command:
samloader decrypt4 [version] [model] [region] [infile] [outfile]
- For example: If I want to decrypt the firmware file (SM-G981U_1_20200916190404_4wtdotts6pq.zip.enc4) for my Samsung Galaxy S20 5G (SM-G981U) in the BST region, the command should be:
samloader decrypt4 G981USQU1BTIE SM-G981U BST SM-G981U_1_20200916190404_4wtdotts6pq.zip.enc4 SM-G981U_1_20200916190404_4wtdotts6pq.zip
Once done, you can extract the decrypted firmware update (.zip) to get the individual firmware files (AP, CP, CSC, BL, etc). Now you can flash latest stock firmware to update your Galaxy device using Odin Flash tool.
Samloader is a grate tool to update Galaxy device. This tool is not only best for open source but it works with multiple platform like Windows, Mac, Linux and more. These things make it a better alternative to tools such as Frija and SamFirm.
For more tools and Android updates Don’t forget to join our telegram group for more wallpapers, Themes, Ringtones Update – https://getdev.me/telegramdev.